Use Premier Team for all your Germantown, MD homes & real estate for sale. We offer real estate for sale including single family, townhouses and condos.We also offer horse farms, lots and land for sale. Contact Gene Mock, Associate Broker, Premier Team, Keller Williams Realty 703-342-8100 or Contact Gene HERE
Germantown, Maryland is located in Montgomery County MD, approximately 25–30 miles outside of Washington, DC. With a population of approximately 90,676, Germantown is the third most populous place in Maryland, after the City of Baltimore, and the census designated place of Columbia, Maryland
GERMANTOWN md HISTORY
The American Civil War caused the town of Germantown much distress. Avoiding much of the physical destruction that devastated other cities in the region, it was a great cause of discontent and divided many residents of Germantown. Those of German ancestry, didn’t believe in slavery and had sons fighting for the Union Army, while others, especially those with English ancestors, owned slaves, and even those who didn’t, had sons fighting for the Confederate Army. As a result, Germantown became quite divided and citizens switched churches and dissolved business relationships with people who were previously friends and neighbors.
In 1914, the wooden landmark of the Bowman Brothers Mill caught fire and was destroyed. They rebuilt it and sold it to the Liberty Milling Company in 1918. Being the second largest mill in Maryland, electricity was brought into Liberty Mill. It was also provided to the nearby homes and businesses, making Germantown the first, in the northern portion of Montgomery County, to receive electricity. With their eight silos, they were a main supplier of flour to the army in World War II and also produced cornmeal and animal feed, In May of 1972, the mill once again burned, but this time due to arson.
ATOMIC ENERGY COMMISSION MOVED TO GERMANTOWN MD IN 1958
Relocated from downtown Washington D.C. in January 1958, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission moved to Germantown. Their reasoning was that it would be far enough from the Capital to withstand a Soviet nuclear attack. The U.S. Department of Energy’s administrative headquarters and the Office of Biological and Environmental Research headquarters now occupy the facility. With many large corporations, Library Systems & Services, Qiagen North America, Earth Network Systems Inc., Digital Receiver Technology Inc., and Hughes Network Systems, making Germantown their headquarters, it created great opportunities for employment. Other employers of the area are General Electric Aviation, Wabtec, WeatherBug, Xerox, and Proxy Aviation Systems producing an annual estimated median household income of $81,525.
SURGE OF DEVELOPMENT WHEN INTERSTATE 270 BUILT IN 1960’S
With the construction of Interstate 270 in the 1960’s, the area began to see a surge of development. Farmers began selling off their land to developers and soon a plan for Germantown was created. The original proposal of Germantown, created a downtown area and six town villages: Clopper’s Mill Village, Churchill Village, Gunners Lake Village, Kingsview Village, Middlebrook Village and Neelsville Village. With the location of the Germantown Public Library, the Black Rock Arts Center and the Upcounty Regional Services Center, Churchill Village had the makings of a “downtown” effect, later adding the Regal Germantown Stadium 14 and a pedestrian friendly shopping community that included an array of restaurants. The trains that were once transporting flour and milk, were now carrying commuters to work and back. The progression brought lots of amenities and conveniences to Germantown, but many of the historical buildings and structures were lost to neglect or arson.
MONTGOMERY COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEM AND MONTGOMERY COLLEGE
GERMANTOWN MD homes