Use Premier Team for all your Hamilton VA homes & real estate for sale. We offer real estate for sale including single family, townhouses and condos.We also offer horse farms, lots and land for sale. Contact Gene Mock, Associate Broker, Premier Team, Keller Williams Realty 703-342-8100 or Contact Gene HERE
Located in the Loudoun Valley, Hamilton in Northern VA is a lovely small town is nestled between the towns of Purcellville and Leesburg. With a terrain of rolling hills with numerous ridges, Hamilton is near the base of Catoctin Mountains. Hamilton offers new as well as historic homes in close proximity to work and public transportion. The Loudoun Transit bus carries commuters to all points east into Washington, DC. Hamilton is a wonderful community to raise a family or enjoy Loudoun County living at it finest! Come to Hamilton and view homes that will meet you style and expectations.
The town of Hamilton was first settled in the 1730’s. The town also became known as Hamilton Store after a store founded there by Charles Bennett Hamilton. It was officially named Hamilton in 1835, when a post office was placed in the store. The first home was built in 1768 by George and Tabitha Roach Tavenner in the Hamilton area. Their son, Richard with his wife Ann Hatcher, built an estate called Harmony and the surrounding area developed into what is still known as Harmony. In 1833, the Harmony United Methodist Church was established on 1 1/2 acres donated by Richard and Nancy Tavenner at the corner of Route 704, Harmony Church Road and Route 7, Colonial Highway. Since that time Hamilton’s residents have seen wars, social and demographic change, times of economic uncertainty and spiritual challenges followed in turn by periods of prosperity and spiritual growth.
The Last Civl War Action Took Place in Hamilton
(formerly known as “harmony”)
The last important Civil War action in Loudoun County, took place on March 21,1865 in the village of Harmony. It was known as The Harmony Skirmish, a small engagement as confederate Colonel John S. Mosby and his Rangers surprised union forces commanded by Colonel Marcus Reno. In the brief fight, it did little to deter the Federal incursion, nor did the Rangers inflict the severe casualties that was a characteristic of most of their raids. The skirmish, which was the last major action of the war within Loudoun, was tactically inconclusive.
Hamilton Was a Mecca for Weekend Tourists in early 1900’s
Extending a steam railroad from Alexandria to Hamilton, along what became route of the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, in 1868, continued their growth. Many tourists came to Hamilton, as a favorite weekend getaway spot, seeking relief from the Capital’s heat. There was a one and 1/2 mile boardwalk that crossed the town and a dance hall. Hamilton became a “Tourist Mecca Around 1915.” The Town is incorporated in 1875 and continues to be governed by an elected Town Council and Mayor.
By 1900, the Town of Hamilton was a commercial hub, and Loudoun County’s second largest town. The county’s residents came to Hamilton, creating booming businesses that included two newspapers, a butcher shop, a men’s clothing store, a broom factory, a milliner, a dentist, two hardware stores, a stove shop, a livery stable and boarding houses.